The biblical characteristic of purity is a virtue that calls for holiness and integrity in every aspect of life. Purity encompasses not only physical purity but also purity of heart, mind, and soul. The Bible places great importance on purity and calls believers to strive for a life that is morally upright and free from impurity.
CLICK HERE or on the image to open the infographic.
What is Purity?
The apostle Paul emphasizes the significance of purity in 1 Thessalonians 4:7, stating, "For God has not called us for impurity, but in holiness" (1 Thessalonians 4:7, ESV). This verse underscores the divine call to live a life of purity and holiness in response to God's love and grace.
In a world filled with temptations and moral compromises, developing purity can be challenging. However, with the guidance of God's Word and the power of the Holy Spirit, we can cultivate purity in our thoughts, actions, and relationships.
So, how can we develop purity in our own lives? Here are a few tips:
- Embrace God's Standard of Purity: Seek to understand God's standard of purity as revealed in His Word. Psalm 119:9 says, "How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to your word."
- Guard Your Mind: Be vigilant about the things you allow into your mind. Philippians 4:8 advises, "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things."
- Flee from Temptation: When faced with temptations that threaten your purity, follow the example of Joseph, who fled from Potiphar's wife (Genesis 39:7-12). Seek God's strength to resist and avoid compromising situations.
- Practice Self-Control: Develop self-control over your thoughts, desires, and impulses. Galatians 5:22-23 includes self-control as a fruit of the Spirit, accessible to believers through God's empowerment.
- Pursue Accountability: Surround yourself with fellow believers who can provide support and accountability in maintaining purity. Proverbs 27:17 encourages, "Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another."
- Engage in Prayer and Fasting: Dedicate time to seek God's help in developing purity through prayer and fasting. Matthew 5:8 promises, "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God."
- Be Mindful of Media Consumption: Be cautious about the media you consume, as it can greatly influence your thought patterns and values. Psalm 101:3 urges, "I will not set before my eyes anything that is worthless."
- Cultivate a Heart of Repentance: Recognize that no one is perfect, and we all fall short. When you stumble, turn to God in repentance and seek His forgiveness. 1 John 1:9 assures, "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."
- Pursue Righteousness and Godliness: Aim to live a life of righteousness and godliness, honoring God in every area of your life. 2 Timothy 2:22 advises, "So flee youthful passions and pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace, along with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart."
- Fix Your Eyes on Jesus: Keep Jesus as your ultimate role model and focus. Hebrews 12:2 reminds us, "Looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God."
Developing purity is a journey that requires deliberate effort, reliance on God's Word, and the empowerment of the Holy Spirit. By embracing God's standard of purity, guarding our minds, fleeing from temptation, practicing self-control, pursuing accountability, engaging in prayer and fasting, being mindful of media consumption, cultivating a heart of repentance, pursuing righteousness and godliness, and fixing our eyes on Jesus, we can actively seek and develop the biblical characteristic of purity. May our pursuit of purity be an expression of our love for God and a testimony to His transforming power in our lives.
Prayer and Reading Guide for Developing Purity
Here are ten things people could pray for to develop purity.
Pray for a Pure Heart:
"Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me." - Psalm 51:10
Pray for Purity in Thought:
"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things." - Philippians 4:8
Pray for Strength to Flee Temptation:
"Flee from sexual immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral person sins against his own body." - 1 Corinthians 6:18
Pray for Self-Control:
"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things, there is no law." - Galatians 5:22-23
Pray for Accountability:
"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17
Pray for God's Protection from Temptation:
"Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil." - Matthew 6:13
Pray for Grace in Times of Weakness:
"Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need." - Hebrews 4:16
Pray for Repentance and Forgiveness:
"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." - 1 John 1:9
Pray for the Holy Spirit's Guidance:
"But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh." - Galatians 5:16
Pray for Purity in Speech:
"Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear." - Ephesians 4:29
By praying for a pure heart, purity in thought, strength to flee temptation, self-control, accountability, God's protection from temptation, grace in times of weakness, repentance and forgiveness, the Holy Spirit's guidance, and purity in speech, we can actively seek and develop the biblical characteristic of purity. May our prayers be aligned with God's Word and lead us to a life that reflects His holiness and righteousness.