Language

Select Wisdom Brand

Here are all of Stephen Davey's articles and his answers to Bible questions. You can browse this section, or use the togle to narrow your options.

What happened to Job's Wife?

Theresa asks, What happened to Job’s wife? Is she the mother of his ten children born after he was restored?

What makes this question an especially difficult one to answer is the fact that Job’s wife, or Mrs. Job as I like to call her, is a largely anonymous biblical figure. She is never named and only speaks briefly in Job 2.

Because of that, I cannot give a definitive answer with the authority of God’s Word when it comes to Job’s wife; but I do believe that Job’s wife at the end of the book of Job is the same woman as at the beginning. I believe Mrs. Job experienced all the suffering of Job—along with her own suffering—and was restored with Job to fullness of life at the end of the book.

While some Hebrew tradition contends that Job’s wife was Dinah, the daughter of Jacob, we cannot know for sure. Historical evidence does indicate that Job lived around the same time as Jacob, but there is no clear biblical evidence that he married Dinah.

Whomever she was, the Bible does not list the death of Job’s wife as any of the curses brought upon Job by Satan with the permission of God. While the Bible clearly records the death of Job’s children, we know that Job’s wife remains alive after the suffering is inflicted, because she speaks to Job in the midst of his suffering.

After she speaks, the book of Job never records her death or indicates that Job remarried. Because of that, the most reasonable interpretation of the end of Job is that the same woman who bore Job his first ten children who died also bore him ten children after he was restored, and together their family unit and family legacy was preserved.

Comments

Jason Lanning says:
She must have been an awful woman or Satan would have taken her too. I think she was left alive to further Job's suffering
Nicholas Mensah says:
Would like to know God more and more. Process through which Job's wife pass before she died...... Who was the last person Satan killed during Job's predicament......
Lee says:
Jobs wife suffered as he did...of course what was happening.... Satan had permission for cursing....killing....HE DID NOT HAVE PERMISSION TO TOUCH JOB.... As the word speaks of "the two shall become one"....as Job and "Mrs Job were ONE / Echad ....Mrs Job was protected....touching her would be touching him..... After the suffering....I would assume restoration and Renewal We're his children replaced or added to ?
Amie Estraza says:
I just want to ask question, what happened to job's wife did she returned back to Job after he leave him?
Chocho says:
I believe jobs wife was part of the plan all along, it was all a plot against job from the beginning. The blessings were also the curse, which later became the blessings and better. So yes it's possible that she was the mother of the later children. But she definitely never had jobs heart anymore. That's my opinion
Kia says:
I’m not sure what happened to Mrs Job but I can’t imagine what she went through. Loosing so much, she lost her faith. Knowing her husband did no wrong, she wanted it all to stop! I think some of us may have said the same thing to our husband in desperation.
Jesugbemi Foyinsayemi says:
I think Job’s wife was spared because they had become one. The Bible says God told Satan not to hurt Job. He and his wife and become one, so she was Job and he was his wife. It just goes to show the sacrament of marriage